Friday, August 14, 2009

Art and Veils; the Chrysalis

For historical information, I started with finding the definition for "veil". This immediately took me to the Old Testament of the Bible and the veil references are few, none really admitting to a wedding ceremony. Rebekah did cover herself when she saw Isaac approaching (Genesis); respect and practice of customs of the times. I would have to look further for the validity of incorporating this element to the wedding attire. I think that the custom of the time dictates the use of the veil more than its original intended use as protection from the wind, or the elements of the desert.
In fact, is was in accounts of the history and art of Europe and the Middle East where one finds reference. On of my favorite painters was Vermeer. The veils he painted on women looked so much like fabric that you would think you could feel and touch it. The veil in this genre was to cover the hair to protect against musty houses, housework that required beating of rugs, sweeping of stone floors and maybe to cover the hair for polite company. I have read two accounts of this that the hair of a maiden is very alluring to a man, thus keep covered only for her husband to see. But, then again I read that accessibility to washing the hair was not as often as we do today. Running water, much less hot water ,was scarce and the hair was washed until it became absolutely necessary; the veil covered a myriad of issues.

Today I finished "'New Beginnings". This veil has a butterfly headpiece that is covered with crystals. It has a blusher veil and the length is fingertip. I have incorporated small baby blush pink ribbons to hold items for the bride: the old, the new, the borrowed or the something blue. These "memory ribbons" are my touch for her secrets. I will sew a locket on one of the alpaca felt hearts on the ribbons with the groom's picture in it; just to keep him close to her cheek. (Or Richard Gere!)
You know I just love "c" words. My farm name starts with a "c" and we have named most of the crias born here with names that begin with a "c". For over 100 crias, that is some feat. (Cria is the name for a newborn alpaca.) I named one Chrysalis. She was the blending of two super alpaca gene pools and the beginning of a new lineage and she deserved the name. So it is with a bride and groom; a new beginning. As you can tell the butterfly has a very deep meaning in this veil.
Received a bouquet of delicate cerise rimmed ivory roses of Zambia from my loving husband for my birthday, a sewing machine from my daughter and son-in-law and greetings from around the world including a musical card from one of the "sisters" and her husband Judy and George Dick. Miracles do happen! Hugs to Pinkie!

No comments:

Post a Comment